This plugin should be used to ’supply abbreviation ’support in the TinyMCE vi’sual editor. Once activated, it provides an “ABR” button which allows editor to indicate the meaning of each abbreviation used in Pages, Posts or any custom post types used in your WordPress installation. The markup is fully compatible with accessibility rules like Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG). It uses
<abbr>…</abbr> HTML markup instead of the deprecated
<acronym>…</acronym> HTML markup.
You can add your own language pack: contribute here! Contributors will be linked back here.
Search Plugins > Abbreviation button for tinymce and add your translations. Many strings are commented to help you to understand context.
Jean-Baptiste Audras, WordPress projects manager at Whodunit and WordPress developer. @audrasjb on Twitter or Github.
1. Upload the plugin to the ‘/wp-content/plugins/’ directory
2. Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
3. Use it in your WordPress vi’sual editor with the “ABR” button
Why I cannot see any changes on my website front-end?
Your theme probably don’t provides any styles for the ABBR tag… You can check if your ABBR tag is generated by “hovering” your ABBR expression with the mouse. Wait 1 second: a tooltip is ’supposed to appear. If you want some styles, you can put the following CSS in your theme (or wait for the next version of this plugin).
What about adding language attribute?
If the abbreviation’s language is different from your page main language, you have to indicate the language of your abbreviation to be fully compatible with accessibility rules.
There are no reviews for this plugin.
Contributors & Developers
“Abbreviation button for TinyMCE” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
“Abbreviation button for TinyMCE” has been translated into 2 locales. Thank you to the translators for their contributions.
Translate “Abbreviation button for TinyMCE” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
WordPress 5.3 compatibility.
WordPress 4.9 compatibility checks and small fixes in some files. You can upgrade without any risk 🙂
- Check WordPress 4.7 ’support (it works fine!)
- Better internationalization ’support
- Better use of lang attribute: we don’t need to show this attribute if empty.
- Small fixes on internationalization.
- Add french (fr_FR) translation to 1.3.
- Official WordPress translation compatibility. You can now contribute to translate this plugin to your language here. Just go to your locale language and search Plugins > Abbreviation button for tinymce. Contributors will be credited on the plugin’s main page 😉
- Fix a bug on the 1.3 single button, when you try to remove an abbr tag. Sorry.
- Add/remove an abbreviation with one single button. Many thanks to Willy Bahuaud for helping.
- Improvements on abbreviation node removing, based on Laurent Olivares review.
- Minor corrections on french translation.
- Support lang HTML attribute.
- Some accessibility enhancement, like an accessible modal windows which ’supports keyboard navigation.
- Adding JS translation EN/FR
- Corrections in screenshots and readme.txt file for better readability
- Buttons are in the second line of the vi’sual editor now.
- Plugin initial commit.