Pros & Cons
++ The given options allow a lot of tweaking regarding look and feel.
+ You don't have a full role-specific setup, but I assume the specificity provided will be sufficient for most simple Wordpress setups:
• Hide admin bar for all users
• Hide admin bar for all users except admin
• Combined with "Auto-hide admin bar" you can achieve a lot of specific behaviors.
See "Example Setups" below.
+ Works reliable.
- There's a minor bug which to me is a "hidden feature actually" 😉:
You can already click the admin bar items while the hover-delay has not yet passed and therefore the revealing of the bar has not yet kicked in. Not at the blank part of the menu, but at the positions where the click-able items are.
The developer is aware of this and suggested to enable the option "Fix multiline admin bar". But in my case it didn't change the behavior. As said, I do not mind, b/c for me it's not a bug but a feature.
1) Tweak to get zero distraction and no interference with the normal top menu:
• Admin bar opacity (inactive) to 0%.
• Top hover area height (if autohide): 4px
• Hover delay: 2000ms
2) Hide admin bar for all users except admin ON + Auto-hide admin bar ON
+ Normal users see nothing.
+ Nevertheless they can login and logout by direct URL access.
+ Admin can reveal the menu with hovering.
3) Hide admin bar for all users except admin OFF + Auto-hide admin bar ON
+ Nobody sees the menu by default as auto-hide is on.
+ Those with special knowhow of the hover zone (4px + 2000ms) can access the menu if in need.
++ The admin knows this anyhow and it’s not making her/him less productive, with the proper settings.
++ Editors, lectors, etc can be instructed. Perfect!
A very useful thing. I make the admin bar invisible, so its black background doesn't interfere with the design of the header anymore. Yet I know that the bar is still there, available on hover.
The adjustible delay on hover - what a bright idea! Sometimes I need a longer delay if there are links on the very top of the header and I need their reaction to come first on hover, before the admin bar to appear.