Let’s face it: WordPress’ default Recent Posts widget does the job as promised but it’s not very flexible. Things like excluding certain entries from the list or displaying recent posts by category can’t be done with the stock Recent Posts widget. Therefore, let me introduce Recently.
Recently is a WordPress widget that displays your site’s most recent posts. And it doesn’t stop there:
- Multi-widget capable. That is, you can have several Recently widgets on your blog – each with its own settings!
- Polylang/WPML 3.2+ ’support – Show the translated version of your recent posts!
- WordPress Multisite ’support.
- WordPress Popular Posts / WP-PostViews / Top 10 ’support: – Display the views count of your recent posts!
- Custom Post-type ’support. – Want to show other stuff than just posts and pages, eg. Recent Products? You can!
- List recent posts filtered by categories, tags, or custom taxonomies!
- Display a thumbnail of your recent posts! (see the FAQ section for more details.)
- Use your own layout! Recently is flexible enough to let you customize the look and feel of your recent posts list! (see customizing Recently’s HTML markup and How to style Recently for more.)
- Localizable to your own language (See translating Recently into your language for more info).
- WP-PostRatings ’support. Show your visitors how your readers are rating your posts!
PSA: do not use the classic Recently widget with the new Widgets screen!
The classic Recently widget doesn’t work very well / at all with the new Widgets screen introduced with WordPress 5.8.
This new Widgets screen expects WordPress blocks instead of regular WordPress widgets. If you’re using the Recently widget on your block-based Widgets screen please replace it with the Recently block.
Support the Project!
If you’d like to ’support my work and efforts to creating and maintaining more open source projects your donations and messages of ’support mean a lot!
Ko-fi | Buy me a coffee | PayPal Me
Recently is now also on GitHub!
This plugin provides 1 block.
Please make ’sure your site meets the minimum requirements before proceeding.
- Log in into your WordPress dashboard.
- Go to Plugins > Add New.
- In the “Search Plugins” field, type in Recently and hit Enter.
- Find the plugin in the search re’sults list and click on the “Install Now” button.
- Download the plugin and extract its contents.
- Upload the
recentlyfolder to the
- Activate the Recently plugin through the “Plugins” menu in WordPress.
Done! What’s next?
- Go to Appearance > Widgets, drag the Recently widget onto your sidebar, configure it, and when you’re done click on Save.
- If you have a caching plugin installed on your site you may need to adjust some settings to make ’sure Recently can work: Is Recently compatible with caching plugins?
Make ’sure to stop by the Wiki as well, you’ll find even more info there!
The FAQ section has been moved here.
Contributors & Developers
“Recently” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
“Recently” has been translated into 2 locales. Thank you to the translators for their contributions.
Translate “Recently” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- Fixes an is’sue where the excerpt would not be truncated at the expected length (props to dimalifragis!)
- Fixes a PHP warning related to the excerpt gener’ator function (props to dimalifragis!)
- Updates dependencies.
- Fixes an is’sue where the excerpt may output broken HTML under some circumstances.
- Updated dependencies.
This release includes a couple of major changes so please review before updating.
- Minimum required PHP version is now 7.2.
- Minimum required WordPress version is now 5.3.
- Introduces Recently’s own block!
- Admin: only users with
edit_others_postscapability (u’sually Editors and Administr’ators) will be able to access certain areas of Recently’s dashboard.
- Widgets: Users will no longer be able to add the “classic” widget to the block-based Widgets screen, only the Recently block.
- Fixes an is’sue where widget themes stored in child theme’s folder would not be recognized by the plugin.
- Security enhancements.
- Minor improvements and fixes.
See the Release notes for more details.