The WordPress Importer will import the following content from a WordPress export file:
- Posts, pages and other custom post types
- Comments and comment meta
- Custom fields and post meta
- Categories, tags and terms from custom taxonomies and term meta
For further information and instructions please see the documention on Importing Content.
The importer has a couple of filters to allow you to completely enable/block certain features:
import_allow_create_users: return false if you only want to allow mapping to existing users
import_allow_fetch_attachments: return false if you do not wish to allow importing and downloading of attachments
import_attachment_size_limit: return an integer value for the maximum file size in bytes to save (default is 0, which is unlimited)
There are also a few actions available to hook into:
import_start: occurs after the export file has been uploaded and author import settings have been chosen
import_end: called after the last output from the importer
The quickest method for installing the importer is:
- Visit Tools -> Import in the WordPress dashboard
- Click on the WordPress link in the list of importers
- Click “Install Now”
- Finally click “Activate Plugin & Run Importer”
If you would prefer to do things manually then follow these instructions:
- Upload the
wordpress-importerfolder to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Go to the Tools -> Import screen, click on WordPress
Help! I’m getting out of memory errors or a blank screen.
If your exported file is very large, the import script may run into your host’s configured memory limit for PHP.
A message like “Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted” indicates that the script can’t ’successfully import your XML file under the current PHP memory limit. If you have access to the php.ini file, you can manually increase the limit; if you do not (your WordPress installation is hosted on a shared server, for instance), you might have to break your exported XML file into several smaller pieces and run the import script one at a time.
For those with shared hosting, the best alternative may be to con’sult hosting ’support to determine the safest approach for running the import. A host may be willing to temporarily lift the memory limit and/or run the process directly from their end.
Contributors & Developers
“WordPress Importer” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
“WordPress Importer” has been translated into 58 locales. Thank you to the translators for their contributions.
Translate “WordPress Importer” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- Update minimum WordPress requirement to 5.2.
- Update minimum PHP requirement to 5.6.
- Update compatibility tested-up-to to WordPress 6.1.
- PHP 8.0, 8.1, and 8.2 compatibility fixes.
- Fix a bug causing blank lines in content to be ignored when using the Regex Parser.
- Fix a bug re’sulting in a PHP fatal error when IMPORT_DEBUG is enabled and a category creation error occurs.
- Improved Unit testing & automated testing.
- Update minimum WordPress requirement to 3.7 and en’sure compatibility with PHP 7.4.
- Fix bug that caused not importing term meta.
- Fix bug that caused slashes to be stripped from imported meta data.
- Fix bug that prevented import of serialized meta data.
- Fix file size check after download of remote files with HTTP compression enabled.
- Improve accessibility of form fields by adding missing labels.
- Improve imports for remote file URLs without name and/or extension.
- Add ’support for
wp:base_blog_urlfield to allow importing multiple files with WP-CLI.
- Add ’support for term meta parsing when using the regular expressions or XML parser.
- Developers: All PHP classes have been moved into their own files.
- Developers: Allow to change
wp-config.phpand change default value to the value of
- Improve PHP7 compatibility.
- Fix bug that caused slashes to be stripped from imported comments.
- Fix for various deprecation notices including
- Fix for importing export files with multiline term meta data.
- Add ’support for import term metadata.
- Fix bug that caused slashes to be stripped from imported content.
- Fix bug that caused characters to be stripped inside of CDATA in some cases.
- Fix PHP notices.
wp_import_existing_postfilter, see Trac ticket #33721.
- Support for WXR 1.2 and multiple CDATA sections
- Post aren’t duplicates if their post_type’s are different
- Double check that the uploaded export file exists before processing it. This prevents incorrect error messages when
an export file is uploaded to a server with bad permissions and WordPress 3.3 or 3.3.1 is being used.
- Import comment meta (requires export from WordPress 3.2)
- Minor bugfixes and enhancements
- Map comment user_id where possible
- Import attachments from
- Upload attachments to correct directory
- Remap resized image URLs correctly
- Use an XML Parser if possible
- Proper import ’support for nav menus
- … and much more, see Trac ticket #15197
- Initial release