It doesn’t take much to prove that computers are idiots, but most captchas go too far. Captchas based on graphics don’t work with blind people yet they dominate comment forums. This is a logical captcha that uses math and simple riddles to weed out the machines. This plugin comes with 10 predefined questions and the ability to add more. The math part isn’t too hard and can be disabled if you’re dealing with people who don’t like math. This plugin relies on php sessions to store information.
- Upload the
text_captcha/folder to your
- Make sure wordpress can write to captcha_config.json.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
Text CAPTCHA Pluginto configure the plugin (if you like) to toggle which captcha methods you wish to use and modify the questions.
- Do I have to change my templates?
Maybe. It uses add_filter on the comments to automagically test the captcha but it requires that your comment submit button be have the default #submit id.
- What do you have left to do?
- Add some css to make admin prettier.
- Test on multiple versions of WordPress.
- Gather feedback.
- Bulletproof the PHP.
- Bulletproof the Ajax.
- Add config options for challenge header, error message.
- Make the error message more graceful.
- Consider storing captcha answers in the db instead of a session.
There are no reviews for this plugin.
Contributors & Developers
“Text Captcha” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Initial import.
- multiplication, addition and riddle modules.
- Hack to make it work in explorer.
- Added a rudimentary ajax hook so you can make it work with plugins like https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/comment-validation/
- Added ids to some of the form elements for easier styling